Cycling from Pyrenees to Costa BravaRoute of great scenic and cultural interest that goes from the Pyreenes to the Costa Brava.
A nice trail from the mountains to Costa Brava
Route of great scenic and cultural interest that goes from the Pyreenes to the Costa Brava. You will enjoy a great variety of landscapes, from Vallter (2,000 m elevation) to the Mediterranean Sea cycling through areas of forest in the upper reaches of the river, crops in the plain area and rice fields and marshes near the sea. From the cultural point of view is very interesting for the architecture-related to the river Ter such as old industrial settlements, bridges, dams, sluices, canals, windmills, old sinks, etc…
You will also visit towns of great cultural interest, such as Ripoll or Sant Joan de les Abadesses with their magnificent Romanesque monasteries, the city of Girona with its old centre, the important Jewish quarter and the historic centre.
Day 1. Welcome
We will transfer you from the airport to the hotel in Set Cases, where you will stay for the first night. We’ll hold the orientation session, where your bike will be specially fitted for you and you’ll be presented with all the documentation and things you need for your trip.
After the session, it is time to take a walk around the beatiful village made of stone.
Day 2. Down the Pyrenees – Distance: 44 Km.
We will transfer you and your bikes to Vallter. In this first day, the route starts at Vallter 2000 ski station, near the source of the river Ter. You will start to descend folowing the GIV 5264 local road. From Sant Joan de les Abbesses you will follow the route along the Greenway “Via Verde del Ferro” in Ripoll, of great cultural interest for the outstanding Romanesque monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll. Accommodation in Ripoll.
Day 3. To the volcanoes – Distance: 48 Km.
You will take the same path from Ripoll to Sant Joan de les Abadesses, with its magnificent Romanesque monastery and interesting old centre. Then you will have to climb up the Hill of Capsacosta (1,020 m.), it is the highest hill that you will have to climb. Then, we are going to descend along the paved road option to Olot through forest and old volcanoes. Before diner, you will have time to visit Olot.
Day 4. “El Carrilet” (The narrow-gauge railway) – Distance: 60 Km.
Route from Olot to Girona along the Greenway (old railway), visiting the beautiful valley of La Vall d’en Bas, known as the “catalan Switzerland”, with its stunning scenery and typical villages such as Sant Privat d’en Bas and Hostalets d’en Bas. After the “Coll d’en Bas” (620 m) you will follow the Burgent river valley to La Cellera, where you reconnected with the river Ter, which continues to Girona. Accommodation in the heart of Girona.
Day 5. Costa Brava and Mediterranean Sea! – Distance: 47 Km.
The route goes from Girona to the coast, following the ancient railway called “El carrilet”. It means 40 km through a railway conditioned for pedestrians and bikers only. You will reach Sant Feliu, with its wonderful seaport and a great cultural and historical interest. Accomodation in front of the sea, at the interesting beach of Sant Pol.
Day 6. The coastline. Sant Feliu de Guíxols – Calella de Palafrugell – Distance: 33 Km.
This day, the itinerary goes through the coast to Calella following the Palamós bay. You can can visit the most important villages in the area, Platja d´Aro and Palamós, with its interesting fishing port and its exquisite fishes. The inland is a region of vineyards. You are going to stop to Can Saïs, a small winery where Marta will explain how she produces and elaborates the family wine. Accommodation in the old fishing village of Calella de Palafrugell, which still retains its original charm.
Day 7. Bye bye
Free day in Calella and tranfer to the airport or the departure point or…why not to stay two or three days more to enjoy one of the most beautiful sites of Costa Brava or continue riding through Dali’s trail?
The price includes:
- Welcome meeting by a local guide speaking English or French
- 6 nights accommodation in a double room with breakfast included and nightly meals for halfboard option.
- Wine tasting and visit to Can Sais Winery.
- GPS with everyday tracks
- Maps for each day
- All the tourist information about the route
- A telephone number in case of any problems
- The transport of belongings between overnight stays
- Transfer from the airport to Set Cases the first day (or from Calella de Palafrugell to Set Cases if you arrive with your own car).
The price does not include:
- Extra drinks
- Last day transfer from Calella de Palafrugell to Girona or Barcelona airport
- The tour is not accessible to persons of restricted mobility.
- We recommend comfortable shoes, T-shirt to get wet, hat and sun cream and bring a water bottle in summer.
- You should be the at them meeting point 15 minutes before the start time of the visit.
Term and conditions
- Once your purchase, please contact Trek and Ride (Inytur 2010, SL) to confirm the dates of the booking and availability.
- We offer you the opportunity to take out a travel-assistance and/or cancellation insurance policy. (Check out the general and particular terms and conditions here)
- Cancellation Policy for activities:
- 48 hours before activity and no show 100% cancellation fees
- 3 to 20 days before departure 50% cancellation fees
- +21 Days before departure 0% cost of cancellation