Culture, wine and beach through the Cistercian routeDiscover the best Mediterranean landscape in Catalonia, its Culture, wine and beaches
Discover the best Mediterranean landscape in Catalonia. Culture, wine and beach through the Cistercian route.
Since the binding of three cistercian monasteries, the visitor can discover a land rich in culture, heritage, nature, wine and champagne, celebrations and traditions, crafts and finish near the Mediterranean Sea… The Ruta del Cister follows a triangular pattern with a monastery at each corner. Its name comes from the artistic and cultural heritage of each of these counties has a Cistercian monastery: Poblet, Vallbona de les Monges and Santes Creus. Taste and walk in Catalonia!
Day 1. Arrival
Arrive to Montblanc. Welcome meeting with our guide speaking English and French who will introduce you in the area and will give all the documentation and things you need for your holidays.
Day 2. The first monastery: Poblet – Distance: 13 Km.
We start with a visit to the Winery Celler Mas Foraster (if we don’t have time to do it on the first day). Walk to l’Espluga de Francoli via the Monastery of Poblet, the richest working monastery of the three. Visit to the Monastery. Your route takes you up into the hills on paths past the cave hermitage of Sant Joan before descending gently on a mix of dirt tracks and paths through deciduous woods to the vines tended by the monks of Poblet.
Day 3. Through olives and wineyards – Distance: 15 Km.
Today you are going to do part of the trail by 4×4 (until El Tallat Monastery), traversing the low escarpment to the north of Poblet. Then, drop gently into another world on wide tracks through terraced wheat fields into the interior of the Tarragona countryside. You will arrive to Vallbona and you can go to the tasting visit in l’Olivera. Aftter this, you can visit the Monastery of Vallbona before continuing your route until the hotel.
Day 4. Up to the hill – Disttance: 16 Km.
Then the compass swings ninety degrees east still following idyllic tracks through shady stands of oaks. Regaining the escarpment the views open up over the Conca de Barberá, an area famed for its wines and tasty cheeses. A gradual ridge ascent to the highest point of the week with an outstanding panorama of your itinerary. Before arriving to the hotel, you will stop to Can Joan winery, the most smallest of the region.
Day 5. The mediterranean lanscape – Distance: 20 Km.
Today is a long day before reaching Santes Creus. The descent towards the village of Pont d’Armentera on the river Gaia winds through mediterranean scrub and aromatic vegetation. A pleasant walk through riverside vineyards and arable fields to the monastery of Santes Creus.
Day 6. The last monastery: Santes Creus
Though no longer in working order, it houses an visitor centre with excellent guided tours in English. The audio visual installation also in English should not be missed. Walk around the gardens of the Monastery. Transfer to Tarragona.
Day 7. Tarraco Romana
A chance to explore the Roman remains of Tarragona as well as exploring the maze of boutiques in the old town. There are several beaches within walking distance of the town should you want to dip your toes in the Mediterranean.
Day 8. Departure – Departure day.
The price includes:
- Welcome meeting by a local guide speaking English and French
- 7 nights accommodation in a double room with breakfast or half-board in a hotels or rural hotels
- Entrance and possibility of guided visit to the three monasteries: Poblet, Vallbona de les Monges and Santes Creus.
- A guided and tasting visit to Simó de Palau Winery for Cava production
- A guided and tasting visit to l’Olivera Winery
- A guided and tasting visit to Cal Joan winery
- The Cister Route card
- 4×4 transfers
- GPS with everyday tracks
- A map for every day and roadbooks
- All the tourist information about the route
- A telephone number in case of any problems 24h.
- The transport of belongings between overnight stays
- Transfer from Barcelona or Reus airport
- Transfer to Tarragona
- If you arrive with your own car, transfer from Tarragona to Montblanc
The price does not include:
- Transfer to Tarragona the last day
- We recommend comfortable shoes, T-shirt to get wet, hat and sun cream and bring a water bottle in summer.
- You should be the at them meeting point 15 minutes before the start time of the visit.
- The tour is not accessible to persons of restricted mobility.
Term and conditions
- Once your purchase, please contact Trek and Ride (Inytur 2010, SL) to confirm the dates of the booking and availability.
- We offer you the opportunity to take out a travel-assistance and/or cancellation insurance policy. (Check out the general and particular terms and conditions here)
Cancellation Policy for activities:
- 48 hours before activity and no show 100% cancellation fees
- 3 To 20 days before departure 50% cancellation fees
- +21 Days before departure 0% cost of cancellation